Home:Recipes:Shuttle Chef:Nasi Biryani
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 large shallots (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 3 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 2¼ cups basmati rice (450g)
- ½ cup golden raisins (80g)
- 2½ cups water (500ml)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ cup cashew nuts (toasted) (70g)
- Heat vegetable oil in inner pot and add sliced shallots, fry until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In the same pot, melt butter. Add cinnamon stick, star anise, cardamom pods, and cloves. Fry until fragrant.
- Add uncooked rice and stir to combine, then add golden raisins.
- Pour in 2½ cups (500ml) water and bring it to a boil (Stirring occasionally). Season with salt.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium and allow it to cook for 8 to 10 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Mix ground turmeric with some hot water in a small bowl mixture and add onto cooked rice. Fluff rice gently with spatula.
- Reduce heat to the lowest setting and let cook for another 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Cover and transfer the inner pot into the vacuum outer pot and heat insulating cooking for approximately 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fried onions and cashew nuts before serving.