Fried Fish Karaage (Japanese Style Fried Mackerel)
- 2 mackerels
- Potato starch
- Oil for deep frying
- Shiso/perilla leaves (can be omit)
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 30g gingers
- Cut off the head of mackerels, and then fillet the fish. Cut the fish fillet into bite size pieces.
- Wash and grate the unpeeled ginger, squeeze ginger to get the juice.
- Prepare marinade with soy sauce and ginger juice.
- Place mackerels into marinade from step 3 for 15 to 30 minutes. Refrigerated if temperature is high.
- Pat with kitchen towel to dry the sauce on mackerels.
- Sprinkle some potato starch on mackerels and shake to remove the excess if needed.
- In a wok, pour in deep frying oil and then heat over with medium high heat until 170 to 180 degree Celsius, place the mackerels one by one and deep fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Take out and drain the mackerels to drain excess oil, serve to plate and garnish with shiso leaves.
You can substitute mackerel with chicken or cuttlefish.